About Left of Binaries
- Interviews with contemporary dancers, dance makers and contemporary artists.
- Video portraits with contemporary dancers.
- Contemporary dance in the white-box.
- Interpretation of Jacques Lacan's seminars, among others, by contemporary dance makers.
Contemporary dance in the white-box
Contemporary dance speaks a language that is open to interpretation. This translates on different levels: on the one hand there is the dancer who brings about an interpretation through body movement, on the other hand there is the spectator who assigns meaning to what is experienced - likewise there is the dancer who can translate the spectator's experience into dance. This creates a loop between dancer and spectator, allowing for a connection beyond words and a compassion that is shaped by dance.
Since this is not a social dance performance, rather an experience of a performance that takes place in an exhibition space rather than the usual theater, there is a space for reflection, the fourth wall - bounded in this space by the gallery window. The communication between the dancer and the spectator is thereby limited to a visual relationship, which can evoke certain desires, and emphasizes the reality of the experience between dancer and spectator. If the dancer is reduced to an object by the spectator, how is the dance experienced by both? The hope here is not so much that we can counter this phenomenon through sensitization, but rather how dancers can experience their art according to the situation, and how the emancipation of a dancer within a spectacle society can be expressed and unfolded.
Regardless of differences in sexual orientation, wherever one is born and raised, or what social role one propagates, contemporary dance and performance art remain a timeless medium for expressing and sharing the inner freedom and knowledge of the body with fellow human beings.
The performance plays out in chapters and interludes. The main site is the white-box presentation space of the gallery. This venue is publicly accessible by appointment and visible from the public space.
The interludes can take place ex-situ and can be part of the course of the performance through video projections.
This performance unfolds during the first half of 2023, with a monthly development of the plot and comes to completion in the fall of 2023, with a retrospective exhibition highlighting the participants' experience, the interactivity with the audience during the process, the presentation of a video dance version and the participation of the visitors in the exhibition.
If you would like to witness a presentation from inside the space, inscribe by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday 23rd: Daria Szewczuk "5/6", Carla Parcianello and Aliénor H, Manon Jacquelin
- Wednesday 24th: Chiara Mesiani, Manon Jacquelin
- Thursday 25th: Manon Jacquelin,Carla Parcianello and Aliénor H, Rebecka Johansson, Asa Ewing
- Friday 26th: Ilaria orlandini, Manon Jacquelin and Elisa Furnelle "Standing Still", Bárbara Branco "Fit me in an A4"
- Saturday 27th: Daria Szewczuk "sixoutofsix", Ilaria Orlandini, Mindora Duchamp " Spontaneous poetry" with guest Daria Szewczuk, Rebecka Johansson
In May the presentations start at 20h30 and are visible from the gallery window.
In April the presentations start at 19h30 and are visible from the gallery window.
- Tuesday 25th: Chiara Mesiani "Lost and Delirious", AnimaeNoctis "Scarlet Experiment", Carla Parcianello
- Wednesday 26th: Daria Szewczuk, Chiara Mesiani "Lost and Delirious", AnimaeNoctis "Scarlet Experiment"
- Thursday 27th : Chiara Mesiani "Lost and Delirious", AnimaeNoctis "Scarlet Experiment", Carla Parcianello
- Friday 28th: AnimaeNoctis "Observation Affects Reality"
- Saturday 29th: AnimaeNoctis "Observation Affects Reality"
LOST AND DELIRIOUS - Chiara Messiani
Love is the reason why we are here, it is the highest peak, and once you've passed it and look at the others from above, you just stay there forever because if you move, then you fall.
In a mix of words and dance we stage the story of a girl at the mercy of her love. This love is poignant and tender, it is the perfect expression of the unlimited, utopian adoration for someone else. It will lead her to madness and self-destruction.
Inspired by the movie Lost and delirious by Léa Pool, we wish to bring out this woman's courage to achieve what she really cares about: a boundless love without having to outline neither gender nor age, but just the power of being in love.
But is it worth it to sacrifice your own life for a passionate, mad love?
In March the presentations start at 19h00 and are visible from the gallery window.
- March presentations:
- Tuesday 21st: Charlotte Zeldenrust
- Wednesday 22nd: Daria Szewczuk, Thomas Bradley
- Thursday 23rd: Thomas Bradley, India de Verre
- Friday 24th: Thomas Bradley, Stef Meul
- Saturday 25th: Daria Szewczuk, Lola Vera, Paz Moreno, Florencia Yaccuzzi
The presentation by India de Verre is an installation work that is only visible from inside the gallery
The presentations by Thomas Bradley are titled "Blue series".
- Tuesday 21st: Justine Copette, Giulia Piana, Karen Hendrickx
- Wednesday 22th: Giulia Piana
- Thursday 23th: Giulia Piana, Helena Sophia Equinox
- Friday 24th: Giulia Bonfiglio
- Saturday 25th: Tanguy Defoy
In February the presentations started at 19h00 and were visible from the gallery window.
For the research element - contemporary dance in the white box - we are searching performers to participate in our monthly events.
We didn't get a grant from the VC, so for now we don't have enough euro's to employ you yet, instead we can give you two free days to work at our atelier/gallery in return for your presentation.
Data and Application
In 2023, for contemporary dance in the white box, we are searching for performers to present in the gallery on:
- 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th February
- 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th March
- 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th April
- 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th May
If you are available on one or multiple data, and would like to present in our gallery, apply here: